Sunday, October 19, 2014

Gone Girl, Part 2

I finished rereading Gone Girl and reviewed it for Goodreads. It gave me a lot to think about. I'm sure I missed the point, but what I got out of it was the fact that the quest for self-identity is still painful for me, and it became corrupt for Amy. Again - a superb read by a talented author.

's review
Oct 17, 14  ·  edit

Read from September 30 to October 17, 2014

Warning: Spoilers.
So glad I reread it. I saw the movie and absolutely had to revisit the book. I found myself having much more sympathy for Amy in the book - in the movie she is depicted as so evil and twisted that there is nothing redeemable about her. In the book, I thought about what it would be like to be the only child of academics who created a book series starring their idealized version of me, and what it might do to my self-identity. Amy was able to assume different personas, and I know that I'm able to do that as well - certainly not to the extent that Amy did, and certainly not with her motives. But even as a "senior citizen," I find myself pausing to wonder who the real Elizabeth is. I will add here that I realize how tiresome it is to listen to someone go on and on about "who am I." But if Jean Valjean did it, so can I.

Currently I've branded myself as a 64-year-old selective extrovert who writes incessantly, is in love with a horror writer whose career is taking off big time, collects lifelike dolls, seeks serenity and does not drink alcohol. I go places and am told that I present as a "party girl;" other times, I seem unapproachable and even snobbish. Some people find me elitist; some see me as down to earth. I see myself as rather vain and self-centered, obsessed with having long hair that hasn't yet turned gray, and intellectual. I've added "artist" recently to my profile. I can remember in the recent past when I thought of myself as melancholy, angry, and frightened.

I walked through that book with Amy - it was very interesting how the loss of her money was her turning point with regard to returning home. I liked the way the pregnancy twist was done in the movie better than the book's version. No, I didn't hate Amy. Was I supposed to? The movie certainly said we were supposed to, but I think the book lets you make up your own mind. Jury is still out, but the last thing Nick says to Amy, at the end, will always haunt me. He says, "I feel sorry for you..because you every morning you have to wake up and be you." That is powerful stuff. Five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment