Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Re-connection

Yet more joy has resurfaced in my life, as I reconnect with my friend Cyntia Smith and discover the treasure that is her new recording. Here is a link:
From CDBaby: This latest release by Cyntia Smith is a heart-centered masterpiece. Her clear and honest song writing coupled with a voice that takes you tenderly into its embrace is evident in each and every track. Cyntia explores archetypal imagery in a way that departs from the realm of mythology and becomes an integral part of all our lives. This timeless music lovingly tends the individual and collective soul of the world.

Here is my review, posted on Amazon tonight and, I hope, on CDBaby tomorrow.

With quiet joy, I sit in enchantment as Cyntia's gorgeous dulcimer playing, her original, plaintive melodies & lyrics, and her low, gentle voice wrap themselves around my heart once more. It has been too long since I have heard her solo singing and fretted dulcimer artistry. Most of the cuts are original; Cyntia has the rare gift of being able to create melody seemingly without effort, and her lyrics are pure poetry. There is one traditional piece; her version of "Red is the Rose" is exquisite; I accompanied Rhiannon Stanuch
 on my Aeolus fretted dulcimer (built by Dale E. Foye and Cyntia Smith) at the Bookworm Cafe in 2011 as she sang that song, and now as I hear Cyntia's intimate performance, I feel as if I am in the same room - but radiantly in the audience this night. Cyntia has such a true, earnest and healing timbre in her voice; she sings as if she might be sitting across from you personally, singing just to you; perhaps healing your soul or your body. Kindness emanates from this recording--I do not believe I have ever heard anything as sublime as "A New World." It is almost hymnlike. As a former church organist and college music minor, I can say that this melody stands up to every composition I have ever heard orchestrated, arranged for solo voice or performed in chorus. Cyntia's talent for songwriting reaches far beyond that of any artist to whom I listen. The precision and musicality of her fretted dulcimer playing as she accompanies herself is celestial. There is a haunting Eastern, almost Arabic influence that shines through the mysticism of many of the pieces; especially the instrumental "Will To Love."
While Cyntia Smith performed with Ruth Barrett for many years, this long-awaited jewel shows me that much of the magic lies in Cyntia and always has. I don't have enough praise for this, Cyntia's first solo recording - it shows depth, maturity, musicality, sensitivity, and absolute grace. It is my honor to write this review, and I shall make certain that everyone I know not only hears about it, but hears it and buys it. Blessings, Cyntia. I thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment