Saturday, March 21, 2015

Hymnody--and decisions

Here we go again. 

They're going away. The hymns we grew up singing - those of us who were Presbyterian, Methodist, Episcopalian. The PC Police have invaded. On March 29, I go to the new members' class to decide if I want to sign up to become a United Methodist. And I am having the jitters. 

Should I join, or should I continue as a visitor? Should I do one final round of research? Do I need to visit some more churches and look at some more hymnals?

The Episcopal Church:
I was confirmed by Bishop Montgomery in Chicago as an Episcopalian in the 70s, and I left when they stopped using the 1928 Book of Common Prayer and the Hymnal 1940. I haven't revisited an Episcopalian service because I fear that even the smell of the communion wine could threaten my sobriety. However, I went to a funeral earlier this year at an Episcopal Church and was lured their way due to the processional cross and wonderful hymns. Is this where I belong? Do I want to drive all the way downtown on Sunday mornings, or should I see what else is around? Location, location, location.

OK. There's an Episcopal Church in my neighborhood, I googled them to see what they were like, and discovered that their "traditional" service is at the godforsaken hour of 8:30 AM, and it features their "praise team." So my choice is clear: go Episcopal only if I'm willing to get up early for a bit of a drive.

The Presbyterian Church:
I was raised Presbyterian. I adored the hymns. Now I learn that the Presbyterian Church just approved gay marriage, which makes me cheer. (The United Methodists won't even ordain gays and lesbians, but there are plenty of rebels working to get that changed).  Should I pay the Presbyterians a visit as well? My mother has a copy of their current hymnal, and it seems unscathed. One of my sisters is an elder in that denomination. But I sense something sinister coming their way too - I've already heard Spirit Song, and it sounds like a Petula Clark pop song from 1965. Pass.

The Lutheran Church:
God help the Lutherans - their music is the mightiest of all, and I don't dare venture there for fear of what I might find. The one I like in Rockford has a gorgeous pipe organ and they use it. I think they do, anyway. At least I would get to sing Children of the Heavenly Father. Unless they've changed it to the Heavenly Mother.

The American Baptists:  Just - no.

The United Church of Christ:  Been there and blogged about it.

The United Methodists, again:
Theology is of the utmost importance to me, but the music program is the dealbreaker when I choose a church. I picked Christ United Methodist because I have no quarrel with their beliefs, they're in my neighborhood, and they have that terrific H.A. Howell pipe organ. But I'm not liking what I'm seeing. Their bulletin used to say "Traditional worship: 9:30 AM; Contemporary Worship, 11:00 AM." Now, it's calling the 9:30 service Mixed Worship. It's happening. And I don't like having to get up early enough to get to a 9:30 service if there's going to be swinging and swaying.

So - I'll attend their New Members class on Palm Sunday. I'll listen to the pastors. I'll ask my questions, if I can. And I'll eventually make up my mind. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment