Wednesday, December 28, 2016

"I want to be with Carrie."


Those were Debbie Reynolds' last words, just hours ago today. Just a few moments ago, Marie and I turned on our computers and Huffington Post wouldn't load. We tried CNN and saw the headline, and couldn't believe it. We checked NBC, and it is true. Debbie Reynolds has died.

Debbie Reynolds. This breaks me into little pieces. Yesterday, while posting about the death of her daughter, it didn't even occur to me to quip, "This will just kill Debbie Reynolds." I am sitting here numb. Debbie Reynolds, at 84, looked so vital. So fresh. So strong. I was so wrong.

She was at her son Todd's house, it is reported, beginning preparations for her daughter's funeral, when she experienced shortness of breath. She was rushed to the hospital where she died of a stroke. One day after losing Carrie. Devastated, I can only imagine. But gone now? I can't get my mind around it. Marie tells me that she's read about Debbie Reynolds apparently having a couple of strokes, but we don't know the source of that information. It isn't in the news story - yet. She seemed functionally OK when she posted the comment on Facebook yesterday, although the missing punctuation marks show a red flag, now that I take a second look.

Debbie Reynolds has died of a broken heart. May she be reunited with her daughter and find peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment