Sunday, March 2, 2014

Contempt prior to investigation: To Poo or not to Poo


This quote first appeared in a story in the First Edition of Alcoholics Anonymous on page 380. The quote began the story "An Artist's Concept":
AN ARTIST'S CONCEPT
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER
The story was dropped from subsequent editions and the quote was moved to appear at the end of Appendix II called "Spiritual Experience". This would be on page 570 in the Third Edition and on Page 568 in the Fourth Edition.
Spencer was a very widely known English philosopher, scientist, and theologian during the 1800's. He was also among the creators of the field of sociology. Some were of the opinion that he was among the greatest minds of Victorian England.

I had a debate with one of my friends about whether or not I would be flamed or slammed for quoting Herbert Spencer on Facebook or in my blog, because of the many interpretations of his political thoughts. Whether he was liberal, or conservative, or libertarian - or a hated anarchist by early 20th century standards, I will stand by my agreement with the above quote. For this reason, I have done some research on the current "To Poo or Not to Poo" movement.

For those not in the know, there is a current movement against using shampoo. In fact, in googling this matter, I came across the following:
Picture of How to Go No Poo
 
To go No Poo is to stop using shampoo. Why would you want to do this?

1. Shampoo is expensive.
2. Chemicals in shampoo can irritate and dry out your scalp and hair.
3. Chemicals in shampoo can be hazardous to your health.
4. Your body produces oil to naturally condition your hair and keep it healthy. Using shampoo daily upsets the natural balance and causes you to produce more oil than necessary to compensate.
 
Excuse me. I am going to go and vomit now. I am sorry. You may fling your un-recyclable plastic bottles into my face, heave a fistful of Vidal Sassoon products into the side of my head, throw vinegar in my eyes or all of the above. I am sorry. My forehead is part of my face. I wash my face twice a day. My hairline starts at a certain point and the skin underneath my hair is my SCALP. I have an avid disgust for scalp smell. We all know what it's like: spicy, fetid, as rank as rotting eggs. It is not nice to be near. Who on earth would ever stop bathing? Washing his/her face? And I'm being told by the media that I should not shampoo my hair? Is that not like saying we should not cleanse a part of our bodies?
 
I am not buying this.
 
Something is rotten in the state of hair hygiene, and it's more than the stench of sweat and grease and pollution. Someone has to be playing a cosmic joke on us....correction, on females. I have done my investigation. I have contempt. I will poo. I will poo every day. And with my favorite Redken products, including conditioner. And I hope that everyone who plans to come within fifteen feet of me will poo also.
 
Poo for me. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment