Sunday, March 2, 2014

The rare, elusive Clementine

I've collected dolls since 1997. I probably have at least 60 My Twinn dolls, at least 6 American Girls, an assortment of Apple Valley dolls I've made from kits, a couple of Himstedts, a couple of Adoras, two Berjusas, some random 18" dolls, a few rare finds, two Barbies and even two action figures. I've probably forgotten to list the rest, because it's late and I'm tired...but I made a new discovery after the My Twinn Doll Company discontinued their 23" dolls and are now offering 18", non-articulated dolls with ugly pajamas and plastic shoes. I do have three of the 18" ones, but the sorrow over the 23" demise steered a bunch of us who collect My Twinn to the Heart and Soul Kidz 'n' Cats line by Sonja Hartmann. I am addicted to these beautiful dolls! I've managed to acquire five since October and I have a sixth one coming.

What, you say, does this have to do with the rare and elusive Clementine? Keep reading....

My Twinn used to have about 48 face molds. One of my favorites was called "Clementine" by the collectors. I had one custom-made, and she has the type of dreamy look that I thought could never be outdone by any other dollmaker. This is Robin Elise, my custom-made 23" My Twinn Clementine. (Her little friend is our sable Burmese, Cassandra.)

When My Twinn began to make the 18' dolls, they resurrected a mold called "Kim" by the collectors, and I caved. The 18" version of this sculpt reminded me so much of the discontinued Clementine that I had to have her. This is little Rowan, with her big sister Robin. I think Rowan is a precious girl, but I still wasn't satisfied.


And THEN - when I got bitten by the 18" KNC Heart and Soul bug,  I discovered the most marvelous face of all! This is Lisbeth, from the Kidz 'n' Cats collection. She has that same elusive, numinous face that I adore in Robin, so of course she came to live with me. This is my Lisbeth Clementine- I didn't even change her name except to add a middle name. I didn't even take down her hair.


Now, the Hartmanns have released photos of the 2014 collection, and I have discovered Teresa. I desperately wanted another KNC doll with this face sculpt and golden brown hair with bangs, but this darling is a bangless blonde. Still, I couldn't resist, and she is on layaway; her release date is in late April or early May. I'm not a fan of the name Teresa.  This is Tressa Elisabeth (her name is a work in progress):
Tressa's look is a work in progress too. I never claimed to be an expert with Microsoft Paint, but I have plans for this girl. I love to re-wig dolls. I wanted to customize a KNC doll with this face mold. When I get finished with her, she is going to be a true little sister for my Robin. Here is a paste-up showing how she might look with golden brown hair and bangs.
 
Or should she be Tressa Clementine?
 
Stay tuned. I have promised her that when she comes to live with me, she will get to wear cute pink boots to go with the pink dress she's coming in, and she'll have her head on straight. I'm not sure I will be able to say the same for myself.

2 comments:

  1. I love the name Tessa, but I already have a doll by that name; also, Tressa reminds me of HAIR - which is one of my obsessions....:)

    ReplyDelete