Sunday, March 30, 2014

Call the Midwife

First episode of Call the Midwife was stellar. From the British pronunciation of "urinal" (you RYE nal) to the hilarity of Sister Monica Joan: "I require bookshelves! My books have been in boxes for months! If they are not put right, their contents will be jumbled and become deranged!" - to Chummy's disastrous cooking and the scene of her husband tactfully tossing radishes from his lunch into the rubbish, it was a scream. I loved the scene where we were treated to a rather repugnant visual with a comment along the lines of "washing bottles and nappies in the same sink," and I knew right away what Sr. Monica Joan meant when she cited from one of her old books a diagnosis based on a baby's forehead tasting of salt. Two children treated for cystic fibrosis, the wonderful quote: "Once a thing is known, it can never be unknown, can it?" - and Chummy's gratitude for her opportunity to return to Nonnatus House made this a heartwarming hour spent. And now, I must go take my "vittamin" drops!

No comments:

Post a Comment