Sunday, March 30, 2014

For the Many Fans of Panera Bread



 
For your delectation, a series of rants I posted on Facebook last night. I hit a lot of nerves and apparently I'm in the minority. So, in the end of this entry, I offer my morning philosophy for dessert:
First Posting:
OK, I need someone to convince me why I should like Panera Bread. Today was my first experience at this eatery, and I think it may be my last, for the following reasons: (1) The person at the counter (granted, it was just at one particular location) mumbled and talked too fast, and I couldn't understand a word she said; (2) I had difficulty figuring out their "Pick Two" menu - I wanted a Thai flatbread and was told, "Well, that's just half a sandwich, folded over." I was told I could add a side of my choice: an apple, chips, or some other thing. I asked her what kind of apple, and she said, "Just a red apple." Just an apple, on my plate, not cut up? I finally went with the Thai flatbread and a cup of chicken soup, and chips. Rant continued in next posting.
Panera Bread, Part 2: So - I was handed what looked like an oversized gaming toy, probably teeming with germs - and was told it would light up and vibrate when my order was ready. It did so, after Marie and my mother and I sat down, and I dutifully got up to retrieve my food. Two great big trays sat waiting for me on the counter. I was supposed to carry both those trays to the table? I don't think so. I explained this to the counter person, who obligingly carried one of the trays. Rant will continue with my experience with my entrée.
Panera Bread, Part 3: The Thai flatbread consisted of a folded-over, dried out piece of something that looked like part of an old overshoe. Inside was an overly-spiced, rather measly portion of mystery food with an undertaste that gave me pause. There was no substance to this food. It didn't even qualify as an appetizer. The chicken soup was OK and the chips were fine, but I still wonder what I consumed. I was reminded of a combination of bugs and twigs and some algae. The iced tea was fine.
Panera Bread, Part 4: They are grossly overpriced.
Panera Bread, Part 5: They serve PEPSI PRODUCTS. Went to Meijer afterwards and bought a bag of M & M's to soothe my sorrows. Paul Anderson - we are NOT going there! EVER!
Panera Bread, Part 6 - I almost forgot. Not only did they try to UPSELL - (Would you like to add a cookie for 99 cents?) but the bread was no great shakes. From what Marie got, there wasn't anything special about it. She things Subway's is better. (Debatable)
Panera Bread, Final Episode: What I set out to accomplish by my posts was merely to vent - but I wondered later if it would discourage people from eating there. I see I accomplished the opposite. I hit a nerve. So, to all my Panera fans, I will chalk it up as a one-time unfortunate experience, and for anyone on Facebook who works for the company, it was just my opinion --- and you guys are doing something right, because I generated a lot of support for you. Yay social media! And Panera, long may you thrive.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment